Tourism Industry stakeholders praise Govt’s decision to revive industry | Daily News

Tourism Industry stakeholders praise Govt’s decision to revive industry

Sri Lanka Tourism Industry stakeholders yesterday praised the Government’s decision to revive the tourism industry whilst conforming to health and safety guidelines issued by the health authorities.

Sri Lanka Association of Inbound Tour Operators President Thilak Weerasinghe said the Government should be commended for taking measures to protect the locals whilist opening the country to foreign tourists.

He also pledged the support of all stakeholders in the industry to the Government for its endevours to minimise the.risk to the local community and stakeholders and to revive the tourism industry as it is the worst affected industry due to the pandemic.

Sri Lanka opened its international boarders this week for limited air travel with the condition of a travel bubble. Around 100 hotels were registered to acomodate tourists under the pilot project. Hotels are only allowed to operate under 75 percent occupancy, the remaining 25 percent is reserved for any immegency matter of getting isolation by any guest. Tourists arriving the country should undergo three PCR tests and if they prove to be negative, they are allowed to visit only selected travel corridors during a certain time period. This decision was taken to avoid them have any contacts with locals.

“There might be some shortages in this pilot project as it is still implementing on experimental basis.But it is our duty to rectify our mistakes and go farward,” he added.

Commenting on the incident that Safari jeep drivers who associated the Ukrainian tourists who toured the Yala National Park were instructed for 14 days, he said this nature of problems can emerge when the pilot project is implemented. However, we be well prepared to face any eventuality”.