Commander’s Cup Rugby Sevens in March | Daily News

Commander’s Cup Rugby Sevens in March

Defending Rugby sevens champions Kandy Sports Club have pulled out from the ‘Commander’s Cup’ rugby sevens tournament scheduled to be worked off in two legs from March 20, 21 and 26, 27 at the Air Force grounds Ratmalana which will be sponsored by Dialog.

The tournament is being conducted by Sri Lanka Air Force to mark their 70th Anniversary with the blessings of Sri Lanka Rugby. A spokesman for Kandy SC said that they would have loved to take part in this tournament but due to financial constraints they are unable to field a side.

He said that they are not able to spend over Rs three million as expenses for taking part in this tournament as their sponsors will only be coming forward when the season starts in April or May with the attendance of the spectators which will bring a massive gate collection which did not materialize due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 Pandemic last year.

President of SLR Rizly Illyas had requested the officials of Kandy SC to allow their players to play for other clubs so that they will gain maximum exposure and stand a chance of being picked for the National sevens pool in preparation for International tournaments.

The story published in the Daily News on February 6 titled ‘Kandy SC players to represent the other clubs’ had inadvertently stated that Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa has directed the SLR President to release the Kandy SC players to play for other clubs. We regret the error and apologise to the Sports Minister for any inconvenience caused to him by the story published on that date.

The tournament is being conducted by Sri Lanka Air Force and the Sports Minister has given permission for it to be held under strict health guidelines set by the Ministry of Health.