Houses of MPs, provincial politicos attacked | Daily News
Eight killed, 219 injured in violent attacks

Houses of MPs, provincial politicos attacked

Eight persons were killed including two policemen, during Monday’s violence as a result of a mob attack on the peaceful protest at Galle Face and in various places in the country. Police Media Spokesman SSP Nihal Thalduwa said that 219 persons were reported injured in the incident and are receiving treatment in hospitals.Thalduwa said the exact number of injured persons were still being counted and this figure could change.

One of the police officers died in hospital sustained injuries during the tensions at Temple Trees on Monday.

All hell broke loose when pro-government supporters attacked the MynaGoGama protest site near Temple Trees following a meeting chaired by Ex-Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, where he announced he is willing to make any sacrifice for the people. The mob then headed to Galle Face Green where the ‘GotaGoGama’ protest was being staged and attacked the protesters.

Eventually the peaceful protests turned violent and got out of hand despite all efforts to control the situation. Several members from the groups which started the attack were thrown into the beira lake and many vehicles that they had arrived in were set ablaze and also toppled and thrown into the beira lake.

The violence soon spread to many other parts of the country and mobs began setting fire to and destroying the properties of members of parliament. It is reported that the houses of Puttalam District MP and former Minister of State Sanath Nishantha and his brother Arachchikattuwa Pradeshiya Sabha Chairman Jagath Samantha, former Minister Ramesh Pathirana, former Minister Johnston Fernando, Prasanna Ranatunga, Nimal Lanza and Moratuwa UC Chairman and Gampaha Mayor Eranga Senanayake and several others were set on fire. It is also reported that several houses of Ministers and Members of Parliament were stoned. In addition, the mobs also destroyed the D.A. Rajapaksa memorial Museum.

By yesterday morning, Colombo looked like a city of devastation with skeletal remains of burnt vehicles. With these incidents taking place an island-wide curfew was imposed from 7.00 am on Monday until 7.00 am today (11). However, despite the curfew mobs were still seen on the streets checking vehicles to look for any politicians trying to escape.


Add new comment